It's been a few years since we took our first backpacking trips. And whilst we've gotten far better at it, there are some things that we still hate doing, is backpacking. As travelers, our backpacks should be on point. When we travel, our backpacks are home away from home. But packing can be the bane of your life.
Are you also like us? Then this post is for you.
We’ve devised a COMPLETE packing list and made the chore a little less tiresome for you. So get ready to add these essentials to your backpacking list next time!
Simply treat this as a packing checklist and check each item as you go. Of course, it depends on what kind of trip you’re about to embark on whether it’s mountain trekking, jungle safari, or some fascinating beaches, so we’ve tried to include items that cater to every kind of trip.
PRO TIP: The best way to pack a backpack is to make the right use of space.
Here’s a quick list of the main essentials for your next adventurous trip:
1. Clothes & Toiletries: Remember to take a mix of light layers and warm layers for your trip (depending on where you're going). It's always handy to look up the weather while you pack and also don’t forget your special gears if you have any activity planned. Roll your clothes up to save space and always keep heavy items below and the light ones at the top. All the toiletries should be stuffed in a plastic bag to avoid any leakage. Most budget backpacker hostels don't offer complimentary towels with your room, so also a towel. Carry a comfy pair of slippers which you would need at the stay.
2. Tech: This includes everything from a camera to a memory card. We need pictures for our but we need the right equipment. We also know the feeling when our phone runs out of battery on the road, so don’t forget your portable charger. Laptop and memory cards for saving your content. All the essential cables that you would need and do not forget your savior, earplugs.
3. Water Bottle: Always carry a water bottle to stay hydrated on the road. Most travel backpacks have a compartment for the bottles so it's easily accessible when you're walking around.
4. Carry plastic bags: One of the essentials things to put in your backpack must be plastic bags. These help you store wet swimwear, leaky hair gel, or dirty shoes. These help you stay super organized and also work as another layer of waterproof.
5. Get a waterproof bag cover: It is smart to not expect the weather to go as forecasted. You can expect rainfall anywhere as long as it’s deserted.
6. First Aid Kit: Every backpacker should carry a first aid kit, you never know when you'll need it. Especially if you'll be doing a trekking-based trip.
7. Accessories: Sunglass, cap, socks, etc. according to your utility and which are very necessary, do not carry extras.
8. Reading Material/ Guide/ Paperwork if any: You may be spending a lot of time on planes and trains during your travels so buy yourself some good books to keep yourself occupied (or an eReader to save space). City guides and any document or paperwork that is required.
9. Food/ Snacks: Last but not the least, pack a few small snacks that will fit in your backpack and give you a little taste of home. Take a couple of packets of your favorite biscuits or chocolate bar - we're sure you'll thank yourself when you're craving a bit of what you're used to.
And Voila, You are all set for the trip!
We would always advise you to write down or check on the list for all the essentials that you would need and then cut it down in half. This will help you carry less and travel light. After all, it’s the company and the awaited adventure that matters